Saturday, October 2, 2010

Review: The Darkest Night, by Gena Showalter



The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
by Gena Showalter
Paperback, 374 pages
HQN Books
Released May 1, 2008
ISBN: 0373772467  
ISBN13: 9780373772469

Rating:
(Goodreads) His powers -- Inhuman
His passion -- Beyond immortal . . .

 All her life, Ashlyn Darrow has been tormented by voices from the past. To end the nightmare, she has come to Budapest seeking help from men rumored to have supernatural abilities, not knowing she'll be swept into the arms of Maddox, their most dangerous member -- a man trapped in a hell of his own. 

Neither can resist the instant hunger than calms their torments . . . and ignites an irresistible passion. But every heated touch and burning kiss will edge them closer to destruction -- and a soul-shattering test of love . . .

Though they carry an eternal curse, the Lords of the Underworld are irresistibly seductive -- and unimaginably powerful . . . Don’t miss this incredible new paranormal series from Gena Showalter!
Welcome to the beginning of my obsession with the Lords of the Underworld!

The first thing that attracted me to this book series was the cover. More so, the tribal butterfly tattoo. You don't really think about manly men with butterflies permanently marking their bodies, right? Reading the back cover, I had to read it. 

Ashlyn's ability - or curse, depending on how you see it - and Maddox's curse and immortality is enough to get you baited. Their first meeting and the transformation within Maddox when he lets his demon control him is just enough to snag you. And, for me, the thing that kept me hooked was the Greek mythology of Pandora's box that was intertwined into the story. 

I instantly fell for Maddox. His description, and his almost barbaric way that he talks to Ashlyn is endearing in it's on cave-man sort of way. Ashlyn is adorable and simply perfect as a heroine - a female that has an ability that does kick some ass, but also has a very vulnerable side. And the way she "saves" Maddox is the most unselfish thing that a woman in love could do. We also meet a lot of the other Lords, each housing their own demons from Pandora's box. My favorite would be Gideon, the keeper of Lies. Blue hair, piercings, and says the opposite of what he means ... I find him absolutely delightful!

What can I say? I love, love, love the way this series is playing out. I also like that each book is a different romantic pairing, but it continues with a main storyline that keeps you moving right through without getting bored. If you're a fan of paranormal romance, I think you'll be quite happy in checking out this series.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read this entire series and this one is still one of my favorites. I love Maddox and I've gone back several times to reread that shower scene :-)


Stephanie G
Paranormal Haven

Smash Attack Ash said...

I love this series and so excited for you that you are now reading it! Woot!

Kelly aka yllektra(I Work For Books) said...

Gena is an awesome writer.. you get lost in her stories!
Thanks for this review!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs