Monday, September 27, 2010

Review: Mozan and The Return of Magic, by Stephan Davied


Mozan and The Return of Magic
by Stephan Davied
Paperback, 282 pages
Fyonhaireshizer
Published July 13, 2010
ISBN: 0578054450
ISBN13: 9780578054452

Rating:
When the vile sorceress of Fyonhaireshizer kidnaps thirteen year old Mozan, prince of Mazolean, he has no choice but to lead four other abducted royal children on a quest to save their families and kingdom. They must battle dark spirits, gargoyles, one eyed ogres and their own internal demons before they ultimately unite in the kingdom of Mazolean. It is here they meet Anzon, The Lion King and where Mozan learns that his very existence fulfills an ancient and powerful prophecy. 

This book started out a little slow for me. I don’t know if it was because I was just really tired, or because introductions to main characters just seem slow. However, after the first forty pages or so, the story picked up for me and I found myself devouring every page until the end.

Davied does a brilliant job of storytelling, and an even better job at world building in the Allian Kingdom. Even without the map at the front of the book (which was great), I could get a clear picture on the lands and where the Kingdoms were placed beside of one another. The story was a page-turner, full of adventure, mythical creatures, and magic. It definitely had a bit of a Tolkien feel to it, in that it’s a fantasy full of believable make-believe. ;)

Aside from their adventures, my favorite parts was the dynamic personalities and character development of each of the children in the book. I think my favorites would have to be Mozan of Mozolean (the main character), as well as Harah of Antorell. Harah is continuously maturing and coming into her own throughout the entire novel, though it’s subtle. Her love for animals also softened my heart toward her. Then there is Alexa, who is a devious, yet delightful antagonist to the story. She’s definitely a woman scorned, looking for her own revenge.

I have to refrain from saying too much so I don’t spoil the story for anyone. This is a wonderful fantasy children’s book that is a promising start to a series.

Special Note: This book was won on LibraryThing's Member Giveaway in exchange for review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs