Monday, July 18, 2011

Interview with Amy Holder

Amy Holder
Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Books:
· The Lipstick Laws



First off: your website. I absolutely fell in love with it! Is this something that you came up with?

Thank you so much! I came up with the concept after thinking up and ditching several other design ideas. My fabulous web designer (Denise Biondo) translated the final concept into the design you see today. She’s awesome! If you’re interested, check out her list of other web designs here: http://biondostudio.com/wordpress/projects/


You say that you're a huge animal lover. How many pets do you have? Do you plan on getting more?

I have four pets -- two dogs and two cats. They’re all rescues and I’m a big supporter of animal rescue organizations. I would love to adopt more, but I have my hands full with the ones I have at the moment! There definitely might be room for more in the future though.


When did you start seriously considering a career as a writer?

I’ve always loved to write (and have been writing since I was six), but I didn’t seriously think about trying to get published until after college. That’s when I started looking at it as more than a hobby, and I realized I wouldn’t feel completely fulfilled unless I have a career that I truly adore. Writing is that career and I feel very lucky to be able to do it!


How did the idea behind The Lipstick Laws come about?

I knew I wanted to write a fun take on the ups and downs of high school and the social hierarchies within it, but I didn’t have a full plot in mind originally. April’s voice was the first part of the story that came to me in the form of a sarcastic, quirky, self-deprecating character filled with teen angst. I had a lot of fun free-writing in her voice, and the full plot evolved by putting her character into what-if scenarios.


Besides the main character April, are there any other characters that you hope readers will fall in love with?

I hope readers will fall in love with Delvin McGerk because he’s so awkwardly sweet. I also hope readers will root for the Lipstick Lawbreakers, and love to loathe Britney and her Lipstick Laws.


Are any of the characters based off of people you know?

None of the characters are based entirely off of anyone I know, but some of them have personality quirks that were loosely inspired by people I’ve known. Also, I have a lot in common with April and Melanie. I gave April my naturally curly hair (sorry, April), middle name, love of sales, and knack for making up random words. I gave Melanie two of my vices: sweets and reality TV.


What was the road to publication like for you?

My road to publication for The Lipstick Laws was surprisingly short and smooth! The manuscript was acquired by the first and only publisher that I submitted it to within a few weeks of submission. Before you start booing at me, I should add that I’ve received rejection letters from other manuscripts prior to publication. The disappointment that I experienced from those rejections made me appreciate the quick sale of my debut novel even more.


Do you have any upcoming projects that you can share with us?

I’m working on a few projects right now, but am not sure which will be next to hit the shelves. I’m hoping to write many more books in various genres and age groups. Also, my television rights for The Lipstick Laws have just been optioned by an amazing producer, so I’m hoping it will make it to production, but there are no guarantees. I’m optimistically hopeful with my fingers tightly crossed!

Any last words to the readers?

I just want to thank you all for your enthusiasm about my debut! Publishing my first book has been a wonderful experience, and hearing from readers all over the world has made it that much more special. Also, Missy, I want to thank you for this interview and your support of debut authors! Bloggers like you help get the word out about new writers and their books. I’m very grateful for your support!

Thanks for having me on your blog! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs