Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Used Bookstore Booty

So, I just got back from the used bookstore. I know I told you guys about it before, but I lurve going there. It's book love to the millionth degree. A lot of books that I can't find in my retail stores, I end up getting there. Because I have been out of work, I haven't been going lately because I feel guilty to using my husband's money for my obsession. I know, I know ... when you're married, it's both of your money, not just one. I've been working and supporting myself for over a decade now - old habits die hard. ;) Anyway, we ended up getting our refund check in the other day, so I took the money I've been hoarding since the last time I went to the used bookstore, and took it and spent some of it.

This is what I came back with.




In their efforts to wreak original variations on the vampire theme, the writers represented in this collection have imagined ingenious new means of vampire disposal, envisioned vampires interfacing with computers and piloting time machines, and even proposed more than a few reasons why people might want to be a vampire--or at least have one as a close friend. (Not that there aren't a few traditional vampires lurking between these covers.)

Readers will also find that beyond the classic bloodsucking vampire who lives off the life force of his victim lies the more sinister type of vampire: the one who feeds on the sympathy rendered by unsuspecting caregivers, on the affection of incautious lovers, on the tithes donated by the religious faithful.






Expanded with great new stories, this is the biggest and best anthology of ghostly hauntings ever. Over 40 tales of visitation by the undead—from vengeful and violent spirits, set on causing harm to innocent people tucked up in their homes, to rarer and more kindly ghosts, returning from the grave to reach out across the other side. Yet others entertain desires of a more sinister bent, including the erotic.

This new edition includes a selection of favorite haunted house tales chosen by famous screen stars such as Boris Karloff, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. In addition, a top ranking list of contributors includes Stephen King, Bram Stoker, Ruth Rendell, and James Herbert—all brought together by an anthologist who himself lives in a haunted house.




This is the collection that true fans of horror fiction have been waiting for: sixteen of H.P. Lovecraft's most horrifying visions, including Lovecraft's masterpiece, THE SHADOW OUT OF TIME--the shocking revelation of the mysterious forces that hold all mankind in their fearsome grip.

"I think it is beyond doubt that H.P. Lovecraft has yet to be surpassed as the Twentieth Century's greatest practitioner of the classic horror tale."
Stephen King








After the tales of horror that took place in Harrow House in The Infinite and Mischief, this book takes a look back to tell the story of how the sinister house was built.
















Harrow is haunted, they say. The mansion is a place of tragedy and nightmares, evil and insanity. First it was a madman's fortress; then it became a school. Now it lies empty. But an obsessed woman and a ghost hunter want to bring the house back to life to find out what lurks within Harrow. Together they assemble the people who they believe can pierce the mansion's shadows.








Pretty awesome, right? Want to know how well I did purchasing?

100 Vicious Little Vampire Stories: $4.00
The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories: $3.50
H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror...: $2.50
Nightmare House: $2.00
Infinite: $2.00

With taxes and everything, I spent just a hair over $15 -- $15.09 to be exact. And I'm really excited about it! She had a ton of books in there that I want, but I try to limit myself to a $20 budget each visit. I don't want to go completely overboard and go in debt! Plus, this'll occupy my time for the next week or two while I catch up on reviews anyway. ;)

And before you ask ... no, it was not my attention to get all horror books. I was just in one of those moods and this is how it turned out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got a lot of good books! Happy reading!

vvb32 reads said...

ooo, hp lovecraft. i have to read more of lovecraft. enjoy your latest stash.
btw: you've been awarded ;-D
http://vvb32reads.blogspot.com/2010/02/most-amazing-follower-award.html

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs