Monday, May 3, 2010

Saturday Spotlight ... on Monday ...

I know I am a few days behind on this, but I blame it on ignorance for not knowing about Lori's Reading Corner until last night. When I did find out about it, I was too tired to post. So, I left it for this morning. Now, here we are. All caught up. ;)


Saturday Spotlight is a brand new meme started by Lori where each week bloggers will have a chance to showcase something new. It will be the place to gather, talk and shine the “spotlight” on all things book related. Not to mention a place to discover new to us authors, characters, series and places.

Each week, Lori will pick a new theme for us to share our favorite of, and every once in a while she'll make it a “reader's choice” week where you can spotlight whatever you want.


First Week's Spotlight: Ourselves!

So, here's things that you may or may not know about the girl behind Missy's Reads & Reviews.

I'm 26 years old and I live in the wonderful state of North Carolina. Since the day of my birth, I've moved a total of five times - and there are no plans of making a sixth move, as my husband and I are buying this one. =) As you just figured out, I'm married. I've been with my husband since I was 19 and, on May 25th, we'll be celebrating three years of wedding bliss. Nick (husband) is my absolute best friend and he is my heart's obsession. We have no offspring, but we are the parents of three absolutely spoiled animals - a cat named Stormy that I brought with me, and two absolutely adorable chihuahuas that we adopted together, Quesadilla (Dilla, for short) and Optimus Prime. Dilla is a princess and Optimus Prime has the biggest ears that you've ever seen on a chihuahua. I guess I should go ahead and warn that my whole family (in-laws included) are obsessed with chihuahuas - my parents having two and my in-laws having three in total - and I'm sure that, somewhere down the line, there will be many photos shared. I literally have albums full of photos of just the dogs.

Besides my dogs, my other two desires are reading and writing. Reading was one of the very first thing my parents taught me after the basics (potty, talking, walking, etc), and I've been doing it ever since. I have no siblings and I was painfully shy in school - so all of my free time was always taken up by books. My friend actually nicknamed me the "genre slut" because I've never really settled with just one genre of books as my favorite. I will say that I prefer a lot of young adult titles because I am very young at heart. I also love mystery, horror, romance, historical, sci-fi, chick lit, true crime and I even read educational materials for fun. One of my favorite subjects is paranormal. Vampires, werewolves, witches, faeries, mermaids ... it all intrigues me - vampires definitely topping the list. I guess you could say that my preference would be "dark" materials, even if I do like it light sometimes.

Yes, I do adore the Twilight series. I've read them more than four times each. Yes, I love the movies as well. No, I'm not completely obsessed with it like everyone else.

One of my dreams is to become an author. I have made up imaginary worlds and told stories all of my life, but it was just more recently that I thought of making the idea of becoming a writer more of a reality. I have over a dozen (probably closer to twenty) works in progress, but have recently cut down to working seriously on two stories that I would absolutely love to see in print one day. One story is a romance, but has more to do with a person overcoming a phobia and accidentally falling in love. The other story is my own dark story which will be a murder/mystery type. Like I said, they're my babies. I'm actually pretty self-conscious about my writing because I am so new to the whole ordeal, but my best friend is my critique partner and she is the best! She's very honest and always eager to read my newest creations. I don't know what I'd do without her.

I started this blog on a whim one day because my husband was tired of hearing me talk endlessly about the novel(s) that I had just finished. I live about an hour and a half from my closest friends and family, so I really just have Nick and his family out here. Since the dogs don't talk back, he's stuck with my mindless banter most of the time. However ... for as much as I love books and writing, he loves video games with an equal amount of passion. Missy talking about books means his concentration has to be between the game and his wife, and he absolutely NEEDS all of his attention for his gaming. I had seen book review blogs in the past, but the idea of actually starting one never really came to me. Then one day, Nick was completely ignoring me, my best friend was at work, and I was itching horribly to tell someone - anyone!- about the book that I just read. The book review site popped in my head. So I did a little research, and here we are! I'm still getting the hang out if, but this blog is quickly becoming its own obsession for me and I treat it as though it's my baby. =)

1 comments:

Jo said...

Hello! I'm new to your blog, but it sounds like I may enjoy visiting it in the future. =)

I own the first two Twilight books, but I'm extremely nervous about actually starting them. I refuse to watch the movies w/o reading the books first so... a bit of a standstill.

Anyway, love your story about why you started your blog.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs