Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Review: Shade, by Jeri Smith-Ready

Shade (Shade, Book 1)
by Jeri Smith-Ready
Hardcover, 309 pages
Simon Pulse
Published May 4, 2010
· isbn: 1416994068
· isbn13: 9781416994060

Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.

Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.

It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding--and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart...and clues to the secret of the Shift.

>> Read a bonus prequel scene here. <<
>> Read chapter one of Shade here. <<

My first thought of this book after reading the blurb was, "Ehh, it's another ghost book - and, oh, look at that ... it's another love triangle." After the past few unmentionable reads, I had had enough of the love triangles to last me a lifetime. But Shade kept calling me. Everywhere I turned, it was there ... staring me down. Breaking me down. Finally, I gave in. Best. Decision. Ever.

From the very first page, I was hooked. It's not just about ghosts, or just about love. Yes, there are those things in the book, along with family issues, relationships, peer pressure, friendships, sex, death, gossip mills, angry soulless ghosts, bad guys, etc etc. Honestly, I thought my banana split cake had a bunch of layers ... but this book seriously takes the cake! (Ha!) It'll have you laughing one moment, crying your eyes out next, then you'll be sitting on the edge of your seat frantically reading to find out what happens next.

Smith-Ready is an incredible writer and she did a fabulous job with this book. Not only did she manage to blend all of the layers together seamlessly, she also created a multitude of dimensional characters that were both believable and easy to relate to. Aura is a girl that you will fall in love and empathize with wholly - especially when it comes to her internal struggle of not only trying to let go of Logan and figure out her feelings for Zachary, but also try to find the answers to all the questions left by her mother.

And the ending? One word: intense. That's another emotional roller coaster in itself, and one that you can't get off easily because you're left seeking answers and wanting to know what happens next - but you'll have to wait for the sequel, Shift, that comes out May 2011. It can't get here fast enough!!

The Verdict?

6 comments:

Savannah said...

I like this book. It was a differet but good read

ExtremeReader said...

I can't wait to read this! It is on my shelf and beckoning me!!! Nice review!

Read it or See it said...

Hello! dropped by on a late follow friday! I'm a new follower. Come visit some time http://readitorseeit.blogspot.com/

Alyssa Kirk said...

I've been iffy on this one but what a convincing review - Thanks!


~Alyssa
Teens Read and Write

KIKA said...

Oh how lovely! I myself am at my whits end with "unmentionables" of love triangles and such. this is a very convincing review :) I shall check it out. Thanks for hopping through my blog! I'm now a follower and am returning the hop:D (even though it's late, sorry!)

Happy Reading!

Anne said...

Hey Missy! I loved Shade too! Gotta Love Zach. I cant wait for the next book Shift. May May 2011 is so far away :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs