Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thoughts on Thursday

Today's Topic:
The Female Perspective: Female vs Male Authors


I haven't done one of these in quite a while, so I thought I would take a shot with something that has been on my mind a lot lately.

Books from a female's point of view help the reader - especially if they are female - to relate to the story, most importantly when the book is written in 1st person POV. If you relate to a book on a personal level, then it is much easier to get emotionally invested in the story. But sometimes the perspective of the female can be hard to depict in words on paper, yet it always begs the question: Who does it better - female or male authors?

You'd think the answer would be simple. Since a female is writing from a female's perspective, then obviously she's going to be able to write about it better. Right?

I have to disagree.

Yes, female writers tend to understand the female mind better than males. That's kind of a given. However, female writers are also female... which means that they write from a place that is more emotional, rather than males that seem to be able to analyze how a female may act without getting emotionally invested himself. Therefore, the writing from a guy's POV would be more analytical where as the girl's would be much more convoluted with jumbled thoughts and mixed emotions. I'm not saying it's better. Sometimes, you want the emotion - so a female author is the way to go. Sometimes, you just want to read a good book without all of the emotional baggage - and it seems easiest to get this through a male author.

Of course, like everything else... there are always exceptions to every rule.

Myself? I like both, as long as they're written well. ;)


What do you think?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like both as long as the book is good. A great example is 'Dash and Lily's Book of Dares' I really loved that book and is written in alternate chapters from both Lily and Dash's POV.

Lalaine said...

in my opinion, since Im a woman, I always love to read a female writer, JK Rowling for example was the best. and reading from a male author, I think they are more focus on the plot and not the emotional scenes. thats only my thoughts, :) great post by the way! cheers x

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs