Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Tower of Parlen Min Review


Tower of Parlen Min
(The Narrow Escapes of Ves Asirin, #1)

by Matt Xell
Released July 23, 2010
Ves Asirin, an orphaned and introverted boy with a complicated memory loss disorder, wins a trip to the Tower of Parlen Min, the home of the wealthiest inventor of the time, Jacobius Trent. There, with 19 other children, he must compete in the Sword Challenge; a series of intricate puzzles and daring tasks, for a prize of $12 million. As dazzling, glorious and liberating as the Tower seems to be for him, Ves finds that it keeps a dark and secret history that he has been unknowingly connected to for over 150 years, a secret that will define his future and destiny ... if he can escape The Shadow; a powerful and seemingly unstoppable, supernatural serial killer.

This was yet another fun story that I had the pleasure of reviewing for the author. Honestly, when I saw the MC (Ves) was on the younger side, I thought I was going to be severely disappointed with the story. I was expecting a lot of immaturity and things that I would know longer be able to relate to because of the age gap. Fortunately, that was never the case with this story.

Sure, there was a few moments of immaturity but given the age and circumstances, I don't think that it crossed the line into a deal-breaker for not finishing the book. Ves was actually a fun character when some pretty unfortunate issues - like the whole memory loss thing. It was a little hard to see him have to cope with that and see how some of the others treated him at times because of it.. but he copes, and you begin to really get into him and the other characters. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite aspects of this book after I read it was the interactions and relationships between all of the kids.

The descriptions and mythology in this book are spectacular, sucking you into the story right away and never leaving room for a dull story. The writing is absolutely incredible, it's something unique that I haven't seen in a while in stories that I would like to see more of.

Overall, it was a great book. In some spots, the dialogue did seem to lag but it wasn't enough to distract you from the story. The ending will definitely leave you wanting more, but I guarantee you won't regret giving this story a chance.

Rating: ★★★★✩
Source: Author



Buy The Book
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Smashwords

1 comments:

Shilpa Mudiganti said...

I actually like reading the younger YA books. They are quite refreshing for me. :) Nice review.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs