Thursday, June 16, 2011

Before & After: Amy Dominy

Amy Fellner Dominy worked as a copywriter in the advertising business for twenty years before leaving to earn her MFA in playwriting. Her plays for adults and children have been staged in various cities around the country. She lives in Phoenix, Arizona with her husband and two teenage children. OyMG is her first novel.


"You must be excited!"

I hear this all the time. I nod and I say yes. But I'm not excited.

I'm nervous. My launch party is one week from today.

What if no one comes? What if too many people come?

What if I can't remember my speech? What if it sounds too planned?

What if no one buys a book? What if they do and what will I sign?

I'm worrying about everything and nothing. A part of me knows I'm being silly. This is something I've been waiting to happen for YEARS. I should relax and enjoy.

My book will be out in the world and some people may not like it, but many people will. That's what it's all about. So, I just have to get past the expectations of a launch date and a perfect launch party.

And when people say, "You must be excited." I'll continue to nod but deep down I'll know the truth. I'm excited for launch day to be over! :-)

(6.1.11) For me, launch included two events in my hometown, followed by a week in New York doing signings and events with the Class of 2K11 authors. So, right now some of what I'm feeling is just pure exhaustion. I was so focused on organizing, arranging, hosting, logistics, details, where to go and how to get there, that I've hardly even thought about the fact that my book is out in the world. So now that I'm back home, let me take a second to do that.

(Pause...deep breath.)

Wow. Feels amazing, I gotta admit.:-) I didn't love the craziness of launch (and I wish I could have stopped myself from worrying), but I do LOVE having OyMG out there and knowing that people might be reading it right now.

So, all in all, a happy ending to this launch story. :-)


Reviews for OyMG
Read Now, Sleep Later
Dreaming In Books
An Avid Reader's Musings






Jewish girl. Christian camp. Holy moly.

Ellie Taylor loves nothing better than a good argument. So when she gets accepted to the Christian Society Speech and Performing Arts summer camp, she's sure that if she wins the final tournament, it'll be her ticket to a scholarship to the best speech school in the country. Unfortunately, the competition at CSSPA is hot-literally. His name is Devon and, whether she likes it or not, being near him makes her sizzle. Luckily she's confident enough to take on the challenge-until she begins to suspect that the private scholarship's benefactor has negative feelings toward Jews. Will hiding her true identity and heritage be worth a shot at her dream?

Debut author Amy Fellner Dominy mixes sweet romance, surprising secrets, and even some matzo ball soup to cook up a funny yet heartfelt story about an outspoken girl who must learn to speak out for herself.

2 comments:

TerryLynnJohnson said...

this was one of my favourite reads of 2011. Love Amy! Great interview.

Shiela Calderón Blankemeier said...

Fantastic book, fantastic author! Thanks for the behind the scene look :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs