Friday, January 7, 2011

Review: Heavenly, by Jennifer Laurens


Heavenly
Jennifer Laurens
Paperback, 296 pages
Grove Creek Publishing
August 15, 2009

I met someone who changed everything. Matthias. My autistic sister's guardian angel. Honest. Inspiring. Funny. Hot. And immortal. That was the problem. What could I do? I did what any other girl would do-I fell in love with him. Zoe's sister darts in front of cars. Her brother's a pothead. Her parents are so overwhelmed; they don't see Zoe lost in her broken life. Zoe escapes the only way she knows how: partying. Matthias, a guardian sent from Heaven, watches over Zoe's autistic sister. After Zoe is convinced he's legit, angel and lost girl come together in a love that changes destiny. But Heaven on Earth can't last forever.

It took me a few pages to actually get into Heavenly, but once I was snagged - I was there for the rest of the book. Heavenly was a great read with real-life issues packed into the story to make it relatable to anyone that may pick up this book.

I think the best part for me was the characters. They were flawed and sometimes made the worst decisions ever, but their actions and solutions were all very realistic. I loved Zoe and could definitely relate to her. I don’t know if I agreed with every decision she made, but I know why she made the decisions that she did. I wasn’t too fond of her overall obsessive thoughts of Matthias that constantly flooded the pages. HOWEVER, she is a teenager and teens typically are very dramatic over their first loves. I’ve been through it, so I know. Plus, her keeping Matthias on her mind at all times helped her make better life choices, and that’s something to be grateful for. Matthias … oh, how I love thee! It’s nice to see an angel that can love, yet not completely abandon his duties and responsibilities for that love. As far as Britt and the guys, I think we’ve all known people like that in our lives before. I think I was the most empathetic toward Luke and his addiction. Actually, I feel for their whole family - dealing with a disability is never really an easy thing, but I think at the end there was a good compromise and hopefully the family has completely pulled together.

Speaking of the end: It’s so bittersweet! I don’t want to give anything away, but the entire last couple of chapters was nothing but an endless roller coaster ride of emotions for me. It’s not a bad thing, and there’s always the sweet happily ever after ending that’s not completely happy - but it’s the best ending for this book, I think.

I think the beginning was a little slow, but once it picked up the pace it stayed constant. Heavenly was a pretty easy read and had a wonderful premise. It’s definitely on my list of great reads.

Source: Won, Author


Avg Rating: 4.0

3 comments:

Savannah said...

This sounds like a great book. Thanks for the review :)

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I haven't heard anything about this one, so I'm glad you reviewed it! Sounds like an interesting book despite the beginning!

Aleetha said...

I havent read the book but it's about to arrive

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs