Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Bone Dressing Review

Bone Dressing
Michelle Brooks [T]

Publisher: Savage Enterprises
Release Date:
April 20, 2011
Series:
Bone Dressing
Genre:
YA, Paranormal
Pages:
Paperback, 360 pages
Source:
Author
Rating:
4/5 (Avg 4/5)
TIME IS RUNNING OUT … THE DARK THAT’S BEEN CHASING SYD FOR MANY LIFETIMES HAS FINALLY CAUGHT UP WITH HER … Sydney Roberdeau lost her parents as a young girl. Waiting for her life to start and the freedom that will come with her eighteenth birthday, Syd spends much of her time haunting the local cemetery. It is there, stretched out among the dead, that she feels most alive, most at home. Until one rainy night when Beau, Sarah and T.J. crash her ghostly sanctuary, appearing out of nowhere, turning her already inside-out world one degree past upside down. Syd must now revisit past lives, dressing in the bodies of her previous selves … bone dressing. Her only chance to outrun the evil breathing down her neck is to face her own worst nightmares and her strongest desires. But if she can’t stay out of trouble in this life, how can she possibly fix mistakes from past lives? And just how many lives has she lived, loved and lost? What is Syd exactly, and what will she risk for the life of a man she doesn’t remember, the man she spent a lifetime with, the man she loves? Everything … including her very own life? Bone Dressing, the first in a series of seven books, will carry Syd and Beau on an adventure that transcends life itself.

This book started as an uphill battle for me, but it was a short battle. For the first 20 pages or so, I had a little trouble getting into it. Then, once I started understanding the plot and character(s) better, it was basically like a ball rolling down a hill for me - I couldn't stop it until I was completely finished with the book. And to be completely honest, I cannot even tell you if it was this book's fault that I had trouble with the beginning or my mind was still reeling from the last book (which I won't name and you'll never know because I never review my books in the order that I read them) and it had a hard time grasping something new.

Syd was a great female lead that I almost instantly fell in love with. I say 'almost instantly' because I wanted to slap her at first for being so unwilling to confront her destiny - but, again, that's probably because I'm a little on the impatient side and I like to get straight down to business. Her snarky attitude and witty one-liners had me laughing out loud several times, effectively making my husband think I'd finally gone off the deep end. Although this book is a little on the dark side, Syd's humor kept in more light - even if the snarky, tough girl attitude was just an exterior of a girl who was in pain. I think that's what made me love her so much. And Beau? Swoon alert. I absolutely loved the romance between them which was way more than what meets the eye - which you'll understand better when you read the book.

The premise of this paranormal book is unique and stands out in the world of angels, demons, shape shifters and vampires. It's pretty fast paced and will have you hooked from the very beginning. Michelle's writing is flawless and I have to credit that as well because I think it really made the book as great as it was.

Like any book in a series, you're left with a few questions once you're done.. but they keep you on the edge of your seat and anxiously awaiting the next book.




1 comments:

Savannah said...

I felt the same way in the beginning. The characters was ruined it for me. But I am glad it got better. Nice review!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs