Monday, April 11, 2011

Born At Midnight, by C.C. Hunter

Born At Midnight
C.C. Hunter

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date:
March 29, 2011
Series:
Shadow Falls
Genre:
Paranormal, Young Adult
Pages:
Paperback, 416
Source:
ARC, Publisher
Rating:
4/5 (Avg 4/5)
One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.

Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart.

Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…


I think Kylie has to be one of the luckiest unlucky girls around. She gets in trouble when she's not at fault, she has parents that aren't really there for her and then she gets shipped off to a camped for troubled teens. It seems bad, right? Yet, it's probably one of the best things that could have happened to her.

From the very beginning of this novel, you can empathize with Kylie. When she's not happy with someone, you're not happy. If she's panicked, then you're in a panic. If she's happy, well... you get where I'm going with this. Kylie's character and voice is very strong in this novel and that makes the story that much easier to get into. Kylie definitely had her fair share of moments where you pitied her, but I think the friends and discoveries that she made at Shadow Falls more than makes up for everything else.

Throughout the story, I found myself wanting to be at Shadow Falls. Not only is it eerily fascinating, but the people there are equally as enthralling to me. From Miranda to Della to the camp counselors and fellow camp mates, the characters - big or small - took on lives of their own, each with their own distinctive attitudes and personalities. Aside from Kylie, I think I have to say that my second favorite character is Della. Although it seems that Della wouldn't be such a stand-out character in the beginning, she really did pop out for me. She and Miranda make the perfect friends for Kylie in their own individual ways. And their fights with one another? Classic. The love interest(s) was also a thing to be reckoned with. It looks like we might be setting up for a love triangle, which at this point could go either way. Surprisingly enough, I didn't detest it as I typically do with love triangles.

The ending actually caught me off-guard, which is encouraging and definitely welcomed. From the characters to the plot, everything in this story was wonderfully written. I love the voice that C.C. gave to her characters and I'm eagerly awaiting Born at Midnight's sequel, Taken at Dawn, to see what happens next with all of my favorite characters.


**FREE READ: St. Martin's is offering up Turned at Dark, a prequel novella (also Della's story) to Born at Midnight, as a free read on their site. Be sure to click here to check it out.


Find C.C. Hunter
Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Purchase Born At Midnight
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository | IndieBound



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for a fantastic review. I can't wait to read this. It sounds fantastic.

Nina said...

Great review. I'm now loving the sound of it. Love that you feel with the character. :)

Savannah said...

Woohoo! Glad to see that his book is great! I just ordered it. Nice review :)

Amber said...

Glad to read you loved this one! I really did too and like you said, Kylie was a likable character and very lucky for being so unlucky! Della was definitely my favorite character. Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,

CC Hunter here. I just wanted to stop in and say thanks for posting the review. I'm thrilled you enjoyed Born at Midnight.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I enjoyed this one as well. So glad you liked it too!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs