Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Review: Adversary, by Kate Kaynak


Adversary (Ganzfield #2)
Kate Kaynak
Paperback, 238 pages
Spencer Hill Press
August 20, 2010
isbn: 0984531122
isbn13: 9780984531127

(Goodreads) The second book of the Ganzfield series


Things are more dangerous than they seem at Ganzfield, and not everyone will survive. Does Maddie have what it takes?

See what happens next in the sequel to Minder.


As I said in the review for Minder, as soon as I was done with it I had to start on this one ... and I happened to finish it before I went to bed! This is the second installment of the Ganzfield series, and it definitely didn't disappoint. We get to see more of our favorite characters as they train as a group to hone in their abilities more. And we're even introduced to some new characters, as well as seeing more of the bad guy that was touched in Minder but not really discussed/seen until now.

Adversary is like Minder in some ways: we witness a tragedy at the beginning, then there's world building, and more action. I think Adversary went more in-depth with the world and character development. Maddie learns she has a huge responsibility of not only protecting herself, but her friends and family as well. She takes this task on exceptionally well, using her "down time" to research and work with her abilities more. I have to say that I wish there wasn't as much of the down time that there was, but you're not bored because you learn a lot within that time - not to mention the random laughs from Drew and Zach. When the action comes, there's a lot going on and I don't know if I agree with all of Maddie's decisions ... but I do understand. She feels a huge weight of being the only one able to beat the bad guy and she doesn't want any of her friends to be hurt in the process. There are consequences, but aren't there always?

Again, we have our favorite characters in this and some new ones that join in the mix. We get a better "look" at Seth, and he's actually really growing on me. Maddie and Trevor are always favorites, but I am so happy that we get to see more of Drew! He's definitely a favorite of mine. Then there's the new guy in town ... Zach. I'm a little iffy about him, though he is an intriguing character and one that I hope we get to learn a lot more about. The evil adversary, Isaiah ... yeah, he's a good bad guy that you love to hate. By the end of the novel, I was ready to jump in and beat him down for a lot of the things that he did!

All in all, Adversary was a fantastic sequel to Minder and I cannot wait to read Legacy which comes out in January.

2 comments:

brandileigh2003 said...

I really enjoyed this one too. Was taken by surprise by quite a few things!!

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

PinkStuff28 said...

Intersting...but what is her "down time "? ?

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs