Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Unbreak My Heart, by Melissa Walker


Sophomore year broke Clementine Williams’ heart. She fell for her best friend’s boyfriend and long story short: he’s excused, but Clem is vilified and she heads into summer with zero social life.

Enter her parents’ plan to spend the summer on their sailboat. Normally the idea of being stuck on a tiny boat with her parents and little sister would make Clem break out in hives, but floating away sounds pretty good right now.

Then she meets James at one of their first stops along the river. He and his dad are sailing for the summer and he’s just the distraction Clem needs. Can he break down Clem’s walls and heal her broken heart?

Melissa Walker has been an author on my radar ever since I read her novel, Small Town Sinners. The story and writing were both amazing, so I had some high expectations when it came to this book. Those high expectations were met with a lot of hesitation when I read the synopsis of Unbreak My Heart, only to find it dealt with what I would consider a form of cheating. Cheating is a huge no-no for me, but I thought I would go against my better judgment and give this book a shot - and I'm definitely glad that I did.

This book is told from Clementine's POV with alternating chapters, going between the past and the present. Clementine is a character that is very easy to relate to, and I'm sure that her story is also one that many can sympathize with. Though I cannot say I'm one of those sympathizers, I can say that reading about what happened between her and her best friend's boyfriend definitely helped to understand her side a lot better. It was hard not to hurt for Clem when she was being ostracized for something that was just not only her fault - it takes two. Thankfully, we have James in her present that turns out to be a good reprieve for her. I love the relationship that develops between these two characters, their interactions with one another seemed to flow so easily.

I also have to point out that we have a book where there are actual parents that are involved in their teenage daughter's life. No dead parents, no absentee parents, no self-absorbed parents... it was one of the best aspects of this book because, sadly, it's not something that you see a lot of in young adult books these days. There's also Clementine's younger sister Olive, who shines brightly and pretty much steals the show in each and every single scene that she's in. It's another point in this book that you don't see in many others, the secondary characters actually play a role in this book and aren't just lifeless fodder that fills all the extra pages. This is a definite plus in my book.

There's no complex storyline that's hard to follow, the plot of this book is fairly easy and straight-forward. The writing, like Melissa's other work, is amazing and flows well from page to page. Unbreak My Heart is a nice, easy read whose characters will steal your heart - though I don't think your heart will be broken when you finish this book. ;)

Rating: Avg 3.98
Source: Purchase



Title: Unbreak My Heart
Author
: Melissa Walker
Series:
N/A
Publisher:
Bloomsbury USA
Format:
Hardcover, 240 pages
Release Date:
May 22, 2012

Purchase

4 comments:

Alexa said...

I need to read more contemporary reads and since I already have this one for review I must read it soon. I do love when a book can pull on your heartstrings and make you fall in love with the characters and their emotional troubles.

Thanks for the awesome review!

Kyra said...

Awesome review, SO badly want to read this! =)

mmolive4us said...


We all know that we need some entertainments to help us relax ourselves,if you are interested in playing World Of Warcraft,and want to know more things about http://www.mmolive.com/ and mmomesos.com

Unknown said...

wow, how elegant the women are.... nice post ~
http://www.gw2goldsale.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs