Friday, April 15, 2011

Anatomy of a Boyfriend, by Daria Snadowsky

Anatomy Of A Boyfriend
Daria Snadowsky

Publisher: Delacorte
Release Date:
January 9, 2007
Series:
N/A
Genre:
Romance, Young Adult
Pages:
Paperback, 416
Source:
Personal Copy
Rating:
4/5 (Avg 3/5)
Before this all happened, the closest I'd ever come to getting physical with a guy was playing the board game Operation. Okay, so maybe that sounds pathetic, but it's not like there were any guys at my high school who I cared to share more than three words with, let alone my body.

Then I met Wes, a track star senior from across town. Maybe it was his soulful blue eyes, or maybe my hormones just started raging. Either way, I was hooked. And after a while, he was too. I couldn't believe how intense my feelings became, or the fact that I was seeing—and touching—parts of the body I'd only read about in my Gray's Anatomy textbook. You could say Wes and I experienced a lot of firsts together that spring. It was scary. It was fun. It was love.

And then came the fall.

I read a lot of reviews for this book - both good and bad, which is pretty much what intrigued me enough to pick it up and read it. For all intents and purposes, I can see exactly why the reviews are so split in half. I can see why people would really like it, where others wouldn't like it at all.

The funny thing about this is that a lot of older (read: not teen) readers comment about the graphic sex in this book and the fact that this is a YA book with the two main characters having sex. Really, all I can say about that is that (1) the title of the book should have warned you right away, and (2) it's about time we stop trying to act like teens don't have sex. They do. Sorry to break it to you if you didn't know, but it just kind of happens.

Having said that, I can say that I personally had two things that irked me most about this book. The first being the main character, Dom. I understand that she's a teen experiencing her first love, but I can't say that I relate to her that much. Her whole character just screams desperate and clingy. The only thing I applaud her for is admitting up to these faults, but it still didn't make them any easier for me to digest. I think her mood swings also completely caught me off guard. One minute she'd be really hot with Wes and the next, snap!, suddenly he's the worse person on the face of the earth. She was selfish. She expected Wes to choose her over everything and blamed some bad [even tragic] events in both of their lives for him not completely doting on her 24/7 and them not getting more sexy time together. I wanted to smack her for not at least acknowledging some type of empathy and remorse for that. She also changed major things about herself because she wanted to feel closer to him, then completely changed back when things went awry. Altogether, Dom was a headache for me.

The other thing was that the actual love between the two felt a little distorted. What was described in the book was more like fascination and lust instead of real, true love between Dominique and Wes. The friendship felt real. The love? Not so much.

Despite those two major things, I did enjoy this read. Even though I couldn't relate to Dom, this did seem like a pretty accurate portrayal of first love for teens. Everything is so dramatic, yet vastly exciting because everything is so new. I don't think that the sex scenes were too bad. It's nothing worse than what I've heard described on TV for teens these days, so it shouldn't be so shocking. The ending of the book was a little unexpected. Really, I expected Dom's best friend's brother to play a bigger role in this book. I think it was because he was so hyped up through Dom's description. But you only see one scene with him that kind of leaves you scratching your head, wondering if you'll ever find out what the heck it was all about. A hint: you don't.

This book is rated a shaky 4 from me, though it's more like a solid 3.5. The writing was good and fit this story well. There wasn't too much overkill on description, rather it was more about character interactions and feelings. Overall, this book is worth at least giving a shot.


Find Daria Snadowsky
Website

Buy Anatomy of a Boyfriend
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository | IndieBound


1 comments:

Savannah said...

I have seen this book around but have not pick it up., It sounds good. Nice review :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs