Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thoughts on Thursday

Today's Topic
Do you judge a book by its cover?
- Aleetha

Honestly, it depends. If I'm looking at a book as an author request, the cover doesn't really matter to me. Content is too big of a deal for me on author's requests, so covers are only a small blip on my radar. If I'm looking online for books to add to my list or I'm shopping for books at a store... then I'm more likely to judge by the cover. Typically, if it's a cover that catches my attention then the book automatically gets more of my attention - I have to pick it up, read the blurb, see if there's any reviews, etc etc. If the cover is dull, I tend to pass up on it. Sometimes, this proves to be the wrong direction in choosing books. Some books with awesome covers are really, really crappy. Likewise, some books with crappy covers are really, really good. However, that doesn't stop me from doing it this way. In short, if it's my choosing with no request ... most likely, yes, I will judge a book by its cover.

How about you? Do you judge a book by its cover??



Have a topic for Thoughts on Thursday? Be sure to fill out this form so it can be featured!

2 comments:

Fiktshun said...

I'm the same. If given the book I won't let a bad cover sway my opinion.

But when searching in stores or online I might end up bypassing a cover on a book for an author I don't know as it doesn't grab my attention.

That doesn't mean I won't read it, I might just need an extra push to notice it.

Also some covers don't look as nice online as they do in stores, like Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton. So much nicer on the shelves.

Jackie said...

I more likely to judge a book by the cover when I'm buying online. Most of the time, the first thing I see is the cover of a book. If it seems like the cover of a book was carelessly tossed together, I'll likely assume the same about the book even though I *know* that's not always the case.

If I'm at a book store, I'm less likely to judge a book by the cover. The first thing I see is the spine/title. Then, I automatically flip it around to the summary on the back. The last thing I see is cover, and by that point I'm already interested in the book!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs