Thursday, December 31, 2009

Blog: About

"Oh no! Another book review blog!!"

It's been done a thousand times before, right? I'm not a car dealer, so I really don't know how to pitch a good sale to you about why or how my blog is different from the others. Instead, I'll just tell you why I started this thing and what I will have to offer!

First off ... hi! My name is Missy and I'm addicted to books. Reading, writing ... I like to dabble in both. However, my first love and my obsession is reading. The addiction has been going on for the better part of my twenty-six years. I blame my parents for reading to me every night when I was young, lulling me to sleep with stories of princesses and magical lands far, far away. Once I was old enough to read the books myself, I couldn't put them down. When I was finally able to loosen to grasp on them, all I wanted to do was talk about them. This problem continued through my school years and even spilled over into my marriage, where it has reached the point of a dilemma: I am a bookworm where my wonderful husband is a gaming nerd. Needless to say, he wants to hear about the plots of stories about as much as I wanted to hear of his latest mission achievements in Halo, Call of Duty, or any other Xbox game he may be playing at the time.

When the controversy began, a small light bulb went off in my head and I decided that it would be best for me to share my love of books with people who actually want to hear about them. So i did some research and found a few book communities to join and give my two cents. Unfortunately, the honeymoon didn't last as long as I would have hoped. Early on, I discovered that my opinions varied greatly from most of the other members of the communities. Where they wanted to search for similarities to other books to base reviews on, I wanted to start on a clean slate for every book that I read. I also found that I couldn't just stop talking about a book after just a few short sentences. I wanted to talk and talk until I got everything out that I wanted to say - and not a lot of people appreciated the lengths of my discussions. I just felt as though everything was so ... segregated. While I do typically stay within fiction, I like a lot of different genres. In order to talk about ALL of my books, I had to join several communities. Being a full-time employee, dividing my free time between several communities was really spreading me thin.

I vented these concerns to a friend one day and while I was ranting, the idea of starting a blog about my books popped in my head. Why not start my own blog where I could talk about any book of any genre I wanted and not have to worry about the length of my posts? I told my friend about my oh-so-brilliant idea and she responded with, "Oh, you mean like a book review blog or something?" I have never actually thought of it as a book review blog. After a bit of research and stories from another friend about her own experiences with a blog, I decided it was the perfect idea!

This is where our adventure begins!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs