Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Bloodlines Review


Bloodlines
(Bloodlines #1)
by Richelle Mead
Published by Razorbill
Released August 23, 2011

The first book in Richelle Mead's brand-new teen fiction series - set in the same world as Vampire Academy.

When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.

I was a huge fan of the Vampire Academy series, so when I first heard about this spin-off series I had very mixed emotions. I don't have much experience with spin-offs but I felt that VA was so good, I didn't want anything to taint the world for me. Plus, I had grown to love the main characters in the series so I didn't know what to expect with them taking to the sidelines while the characters who were on the sidelines in Vampire Academy took the spotlight. This book actually came in the mail from the publisher, unrequested. My mixed emotions stayed with me for all of a day - then I got all anxious and just had to read it. Honestly? I'm glad I did.

My favorite characters taking a backseat to the other characters didn't bother me as much as I thought, but I think the main reason is that the characters taking the stage this time around were characters that I did enjoy in the other series. Sydney was a great character. Although she is no Rose, she's amazing in her own ways. Where Rose was always a kick-ass character who dove into action, Sydney felt more realistically human to me in that she is eighteen, yet still learning who she is and is sometimes vulnerable. Of course, this might have to do with that fact that Rose wasn't exactly all human... but I liked both of them for very different reasons. I also loved the fact that Adrian took a bigger role in this book than what I was expecting. I loved him in Vampire Academy and it was good to see him, though his pain sometimes made my heart ache. However, we still had some very Adrian moments that definitely let us know he's still Adrian... just an Adrian trying to get over heartbreak.

Bloodlines is written exactly the way that we've come to expect and love from Richelle Mead - which is nothing less than page-turning. There's action, an amazing plot and some cameos that were not expected but definitely welcomed. The one thing that this novel lacked that Vampire Academy did not was a love interest and romance. There were hints to some that may come along in the next book, but it definitely took a backseat to everything else in this one. At the end, there were some unanswered questions but I'm sure we'll get our answers as the series continues. If you haven't read the Vampire Academy series, you may be a little lost. Richelle Mead definitely put some information in to help you out, though I don't know if it's substantial enough to keep you completely informed.

Overall, this was a great start to a spin-off series and I absolutely adored it. Vampire Academy fans will definitely feel at home with the familiar characters. Everyone else will enjoy a great story full of engaging characters and a spectacular plot that will have your head spinning.

Rating:
★★★★✩
Source: Publisher

7 comments:

Nina said...

Thank you for telling us that we could get lost if we haven't read the Vampire Academy series. I haven't read this series, but I did put this one on my wishlist. Now I know I should just start with the Vampire Academy series. Great review.

Bonnie said...

This book is sitting on my bookshelf right now just waiting for me. I have a few books to get through first and then I am so excited to dive into this book. I have heard so many things about Bloodlines and love that it sounds as though it is a great spin off but can also stand alone as a new series.

Mel said...

I planning on running out this weekend to buy this book. I only finished Last Sacrifce last week and can't wait to see what Syndey gets up too next! Thanks for the positive review - I won't be disappointed!

Cait said...

Great review! I love Sydney and Adrian as well, and my heart definitely ached seeing him. Looking forward to the next book

The Cait Files

AudiobookFans.com said...

Great review! I found you through Goodreads. :) I wonder if this is available as an audiobook, this sounds like it'd be right up my alley! ~Maggie

Unknown said...

I'm so excited to get this book :D

Ashley @ Bookaholics Anonymous said...

I loved this book for a lot of the same reasons you did. Although I missed Rose and Dimitri. It was nice to see Sydney and Adrian in new light. I was quite happy (and a little mad) with the ending. That is all.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs