Saturday, July 30, 2011

Slacking, much?

This isn't book-related at all, but it is related to this blog. This is a little about what's happening in my personal life that I thought you should know about because I am having to slack a bit from the computers - not so much now, but next week when my therapy starts.

About a week ago, I started feeling a little numbness in my pinky and ring finger on my left arm. At first, I thought it was nothing more than just a side effect to one of my medications. But it just stayed around, never leaving. By mid-week this week, I started getting a little worried. My doctor wasn't returning my phone calls for whatever reason so I decided to transfer to my husband's doctor. After about an hour, I was told that I have Ulnar Tunnel Syndrome.

A lot of people (including myself) don't really know what it is. It's pretty similar to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but Carpal Tunnel affects the nerve in your wrist as well as your thumb, forefinger and middle fingers. Ulnar affects the nerve at the elbow and the two other fingers (ring and pinky). The good thing is that it's a mild case. I have full function of my fingers and arm, I just have a sort of numb feeling that stays constant - which is more aggravating than anything else. There are two treatments. The first is nerve conduction studies, which is almost like a little physical therapy for my nerve to see if that will work it out and take the pressure off of it. If that doesn't work, then I'll have to have surgery. I'm hoping for the study to work.

Anyway, I just thought I would let you know ahead of time so you all don't think I'm ignoring you or have just disappeared. Normally I would schedule a lot of posts ahead of time, but my husband and I just had one of our friends to move in with us for an uncertain amount of time, so I don't know how much I'll be able to do this weekend on here.

I'll keep you guys updated!

7 comments:

Jules said...

That's awful, but I'm glad you are at least getting treatment now.

Feel better soon x

danya said...

Numbness in the fingers sounds very frustrating - I hope the nerve conduction studies work!

Savannah said...

Sorry about your diagnosis. Hope everything gets better!

Lindsey said...

Hope the therapy works for you - Good luck! :)

Pauline Barclay said...

Sending hugs and hope all goes well with the treatment. xx

Katie said...

oh no, I hope all goes will! Thanks for keeping us updated :)

William said...

Get better soon.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs