Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Season of Eden Review



A Season of Eden
Jennifer Laurens

Publisher: Grove Creek Publishing
Release Date:
October 20, 2008
Series:
N/A
Genre:
YA, Contemporary
Pages:
Paperback, 248 pages
Source:
Publisher
Rating:
4/5 (Avg 3.5/5)
He's my teacher. I shouldn't be alone with him. But I can't help that he's irresistible.

I let the door silently close at my back. He stared at me, and a taut quiet stretched between us.

"I like hearing you play," I said, moving toward him.

He turned, in sync with my slow approach. He looked up at me but didn't say anything. I rested my clammy hand on the cold, slick body of the baby grand. "May I?"

The muscles in his throat shifted, then he swallowed. "Eden."

My knees weakened, like a soft tickling kiss had just been blown against the backs of them. "Is it okay?" I asked.

His gaze held mine like two hands joined. He understood what I was really asking.

"Let me stay," I said. "Please."

"You're going to get me in trouble," he said.

This book obviously touches on the very taboo relationship between a high school student and her music teacher. It's a subject that people are always very weary about, but one thing that makes it a little more tolerable in this book is that the age gap isn't THAT much - only four years, in fact. I'm not condoning these types of things, but that makes it a little easier to swallow than an 18-year-old girl falling for a 40-year-old man, wouldn't you agree?

There were many ups and downs for me in this book. Our main character, Eden, is your stereotypical rich, spoiled teenage type that acts very much as she was just described. She's used to getting her way and doesn't mind using people and situations to her advantage. However, she grew through the novel - realizing her mistakes and learning from them. The relationship with her boyfriend was one of convenience, and I wish we would have had a little more background on her relationship with her parents (stepmother included) to fully understand why it was the way it was. I think the best way to describe Eden overall would be to say that she is a very well-written typical teenage girl. I liked her, despite her more negative attributes.

As far as her relationship with her teacher, James Christian... I felt as though it was just one of those things where she was just very smitten with a teacher and made him more profound than what he really was. Maybe James Christian was as incredible as Eden made him out to be, but I didn't get that just from reading the book.

I liked this book. There was some pretty good symbolism in the book and beautifully written emotions. The ending wasn't as I was expecting it to be and it is left a little open, but it doesn't affect the overall appeal of the book as one might think. For the most part, it's a very clean read - minus a make-out scene and some very intense sexual tension. This is a good read for the more mature Young Adult audience.



"You sing?" Josh snickered.




1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i believe the story was horrible. the plot was the opposite of well written and ending made me want to kill myself. i mean really, was that even an ending?

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs