Monday, October 11, 2010

Review: Torment, by Lauren Kate


Torment (Fallen, #2)
by Lauren Kate
Hardcover, 452 pages
Delacorte
September 28, 2010
ISBN: 0385739141
ISBN13: 9780385739146

How many lives do you need to live before you find someone worth dying for? In the aftermath of what happened at Sword & Cross, Luce has been hidden away by her cursed angelic boyfriend, Daniel, in a new school filled with Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans. Daniel promises she will be safe here, protected from those who would kill her. At the school Luce discovers what the Shadows that have followed her all her life mean - and how to manipulate them to see into her other lives. Yet the more Luce learns about herself, the more she realizes that the past is her only key to unlocking her future...and that Daniel hasn't told her everything. What if his version of the past isn't actually the way things happened...what if Luce was really meant to be with someone else?

This review in a nutshell, via my inner fan girl: OMG, this was just what I was waiting for and I totally can’t wait for the next!

Torment picks up where Fallen left us - Daniel has to take Luce to her new school. It isn’t just any new school, it’s a school that also houses Nephilim. There, Luce has to stay guarded and under the radar during the eighteen-day treaty between the angels while they search together for others that are hunting for Lucy. Like any girl told to do something without any explanation, Luce doesn’t exactly listen. We’re taken along for the ride while Luce finds out more about herself, her relationship with Daniel and Daniel himself, all while trying to stay safe … and alive.

I have to say that this follow-up didn’t fail its predecessor. It does a great job picking up where the first left off and continues the story, along with filling us in more on the history of the fallen angels, Luce and Daniel, and new character types introduced. There were a few things that made me quirk a brow - like Luce trying to find out if blondes have more fun and her starry-eyed moment with Miles. I understand that she’s left in the dark about a lot of things and she’s also left alone … a lot. That doesn’t mean she shouldn’t listen to the ones that save her life countless times. I’m all for some rebellion, but not when a supernatural being is trying to save me from being killed! But, we have to take the good with the bad. If it wasn’t for her stubborn streak, we wouldn’t have as much adventure as we got in this one … which made it a delightful read!

The new characters introduced in Torment were refreshing. I loved Miles as a character, though I could do without the small love triangle going on. Shelby was a nice little question mark that wasn’t easy to figure out at the beginning, but she came around and turned herself into a big exclamation point - in a good way. I really enjoyed her, and the other two crazy girls thrown in the mix, Dawn and Jasmine. I would have liked a little more time with Daniel and Cam as I wanted to know what they were doing while they were off and away from Luce. Yes, I know they were hunting … but, I wanted in on the action! We also welcome back some of our favorite characters from Sword & Cross, if only briefly.

I only had one moment where I rolled my eyes … and that was when they found out who one of the “bad guys” were. I saw it coming and thought it was obvious, even if the characters were shocked!

This book was definitely a page flipper for me and the end had me screaming for more. I loved it as much as I thought I would and I cannot wait for the next book to come out!


[Review for Fallen here.]

2 comments:

Amber said...

So glad you enjoyed it! I haven't read the first one yet (both are in my TBR pile) but I love when new characters are introduced, giving a fresh spin on things. Thanks for the review!

brandileigh2003 said...

I also saw Phil coming!
Thanks for the review.

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Website Hit Counter
[Visitors since 4/9/2011]

Blog Design by Missy using images from the Bedtime Stories kit by Kotozebra Designs